Friday, Heather, Sgt. Carol Weebler, Dr. Deborah Karday, Jess McCabe, several others
Infiltration, Espionage; Assassination
6 - Dreadnok
Bladed-Rifle, All small arms; Explosives; Edged weapons
|“||I wish there were two of you.... then I could bash your heads together and REALLY get your attention!||”|
Zarana is a master of disguise as much as her elder brother Zartan is. Whereas her brother uses holographics and primarily depends on physical aspects of the art of disguise, she prefers to use makeup and method-acting to deceive her targets. As a method actor, she deliberately assumes herself in the role of her disguise. She goes to the length of thinking, feeling, and reacting as the object of her disguise does. In fact, she was so good at it that she could have been a successful stage actress. Her weaknesses, though, far outweigh her skills. As good as she can act, it doesn't take long before her natural tendencies start to rise out. She is smart and ambitious but short-tempered, cruel, and greedy.
Zarana's past is as much a mystery as that of her brothers, Zartan and Zandar. She became an incredibly talented actress, with the ability to lose herself in her characters. Whereas Zartan disguised himself visually, Zarana created a new persona. She may have had a promising career in acting if not for her cruelty, selfishness, and greed. Her talents made her a perfect infiltrator and, consequently, a skilled assassin.
Years later, Zarana and Zandar arrived at the Dreadoks' gas station hideout in New Jersey, where they learned Zartan had been captured by the G.I. Joe team. Zarana immediately insisted on rescuing her brother, partially due to a large amount of gold he had hidden away. Using Buzzer's knowledge of Joe headquarters -- The Pit -- Zarana and Zandar disguised themselves as Army personnel sent to interrogate Zartan. They managed to escape with their brother, but the Joes caught on at the last moment, and chased them into the Jersey swamps. With help from the Dreadnoks, the siblings escaped from the Joes and headed to Cobra Island.
Zarana soon began working for Cobra, usually alongside her brothers. As Zartan became increasingly less involved with the Dreadnoks, Zarana became their de facto leader. While Buzzer had filled that job to some extent, Zarana proved to be smart, resourceful and something the other Dreadnoks had never been: ambitious. She slowly gained more power in Cobra, even replacing the Baroness as commander of the Cobra Consulate in New York for a time. Her promotion however, was likely Serpentor's way of punishing the Baroness, and was short-lived.
Serpentor later placed Zarana in command of Cobra's Terror Drome launch base in Sierra Gordo, along with Dreadnoks Monkeywrench and Thrasher. Interested in self-preservation more than anything else, Zarana abandoned the Terror Drome to the small nation's revolutionaries, allowing many of the Cobra soldiers there to die while escaping in Thrasher's Thunder Machine.
She and the others soon found a G.I. Joe transport plane and forced the pilot to take off, taking a large group of refugees hostage. The pilot, Wild Bill, had no choice but to take off, but the plane was quickly hit by anti-aircraft fire and crashed into the jungles below. The Joes and the Dreadnoks became fast temporary allies, and worked together to escape the war-torn country.
Zarana arrived back on Cobra Island just in time for the Cobra civil war, fought between the forces of Serpentor and Cobra Commander (actually Fred VII in disguise). Zartan and his siblings allied themselves with Cobra Commander during the war, and Zarana even commanded some of his forces. The war finally ended when Zartan killed Serpentor with an arrow.
After the war ended, Zartan became preoccupied with killing Storm Shadow, the ninja, who had sworn vengeance on Zartan. The master of disguise disappeared for months, though Zarana didn't seem to mind. She continued to lead the Dreadnoks and was put in charge of Cobra's new community on the Jersey shore, Broca Beach. Zarana and Zandar ran a real estate scam that brought investors into the town, and Zarana remained in charge there, even capturing two members of the Joe team -- Clutch and Rock'n Roll. She ingeniously discovered that Cobra's Brain-wave Scanner could be used to plant memories in a subject's mind and proceeded to brainwash the Joes. Her project even impressed the Baroness, with whom she had an antagonistic relationship. Her attempts to turn the Joes into assassins to wreak havoc in the Pit eventually failed, but Zarana continued to work for Cobra.
When the original Cobra Commander returned to lead his organization, much of his original high command had turned their backs on him. Destro and the Baroness left to lead the Iron Grenadiers, and Zartan, Firefly and Dr. Mindbender were all buried in a frieghter on Cobra Island and left for dead. Thus, Zarana became one of the Commander's closest advisors. Though she was nowhere near as valuable as Destro or Zartan had been, the Commander appreciated her cunning mind and cruel, sadistic nature.
After losing the town of Millville to the Joe team, the Commander set his sights on Eastern Europe, allying himself with a rebel leader and taking control of the small nation of Borovia. At that time Zarana lost interest in Cobra, or Cobra Commander lost interest in her. Either way, the Commander brainwashed Destro, the Baroness and Zartan to serve him, and he never gave Zarana a second thought. Zarana rounded up the down-on-their-luck Dreadnoks, leading them off into America, undoubtedly wreaking havoc all the way.
A brief time later, Cobra was defeated by the military, and its high command scattered. Zartan returned to the United States, where he began organizing the Dreadnoks into an organized, national biker gang and started building a small army of Dreadnoks. Zarana eventually joined her brother, but was angered to see that her niece, Zanya, was being groomed to become the next leader of the Dreadnoks. Zarana believed she was "rightful heir" but bowed to her brother's wishes and took control of the Chicago chapter of the new Dreadnoks.
In April of 2018, Zarana celebrated her birthday with her twin brother Zandar. The next day she flew to Los Angeles to investigate the fate of a missing Incinerator. There she encountered Major Bludd at Starlight Mansion.
- 07.04 - "Flashback to 1991" - Shipwreck spins a yarn about a supposed Cobra attack on Independence Day.
- September 18 - Alley-Viper 910 Introduction - While getting some R&R, Alley-Viper 910 runs into Zartan and Zarana...
- February 17 - Geopolitical Climate Change - Artemis assassinates the Prime Minister of Frusenland, to begin Phase One of Cobra's Frusenland Invasion Operation: Popsicle
- August 16 - "Brother and Sister" - The Dreadnoks have a new assignment.
- August 19 - "Family Dynamics" - Zandar and Zarana start arming gangs all across America.
- 18 October - "The Burning of New York" - One of several newly well-armed biker gangs, interspersed with Vipers and Dreadnoks, rushes into New York City to burn the whole place to the ground.
- September 22 - "Cobra Space Camp" - Cobra is going into space, and that means all hands to Space Camp!
- September 22 - "Cobra Flight Training" - Cobra trainees are set up in Cobra's version of the Vomit Comet.
- June 29 - "New and Improved" - Hannibal returns.
Nov 09 - Ticketmaster Trashing
A picture comes up on one of the Cobra video monitors used for assigning missions, showing the pink-haired Zarana.
- "Oi, you freaks! We're seein' th 80's Tours fer the Holograms goin' down faster'n a VW offa B-52 fer' gettin' there. Where there's Holograms, course there's gonna be Misfits. But we can't go shootin' our way in there, that'd mess with the performance! We all know what happened last time!
- But, we can't get in if we paid! I actually tried! Everything was sold out. I went to Viper-IT 'an they said they were bought up by Bots from auction sites. Those auction sites always have stuff left over fer the good things.
- So Dreadknoks, we're gonna hitup Ticketmaster. Go there, shoot the place up, take all the tickets fer ourselves. We're gonna get VIP backstage passes all legitimate like! We're not gonna let anyone on the -Internet- keep all the fun things for themselves now are we? I'm sure you lot have lotsa things you wanna go see you can't be arsed up to shoot up or take someone hostage to get into. So we do this 'an we take a 'peer competitor' off the board fer th' big Boss' operations.
- So C'Mon you freaks 'an gutnappers, we're gonna go sack a Ticketmaster Hub 'an loot, pillage, and plunder!"
- The screen goes off, no doubt leaving many personnel confused as to what sort of smash and grab raid the Dreadknoks were going on that bothered to have an actual Codename for it given the often ad hoc nature of Dreadknok operations..
Nov 15 - Operation Greater Evil
A small video screen comes on, showing Zarana very, very adoringly putting up a shiny red and white striped bicycle with an engine on the back and a large flagpole over in a bike rack. She would glance over at the screen.
- "Thanks to all personnel who came to drop in on our raid at Ticketmaster. We got a ton of tickets from the loot. All of 'em nice and VIP ones. Anyone who wants to buy out Hamilton to take all the BATS to it is game. Bludd, Tomax and Xamot, I have the ones you guys asked for."
- Going on, "operation went on with Ratcatcher providing overwatch and field recon, Walker being backup for extraction if need be, and Bloody playing point. When we got there we thought we had the wrong place, but fortunately it was somewhere that was bought out by Ticketmaster. We went in and got a hostage who was very professional during the exchange. She was helpful, let me bribe her, and had some nice moxie and initiative. I think I might wanna hire her for something and see how she does as a subcontractor. She works managerial HR so she's definitely gonna be nuts enough to fit within our organization."
- Going on, "Walker and Bones found some coppers harrassing a homeless vet they took care of. They think the guy has potential as a recruit and gave him some ways to contact us. So good on them. Ratcatcher looted some hard drives and info. Joes tried to intercept us on the way out but we blew past 'em. Good job."
- Also in the garage behind her are several large trucks from Mad Max movies, a couple of model Terminators, some amazing matte paintings from sci-fi films, and a key-tar scaled up for a Gundam.
- "Successful mission, all objectives completed, no casualties, and no one was spotted in the field but me. Glory and chaos! We also hit a few Mansions on the way out for anyone who got bored. Thanks for showing up for backup to pincer the coppers Firefly. Over and out."
- Jem, here she comes!
Nov 15 - Seizure
Among the seizures from robberies up and down the Los Angeles line during Operation: Greater Evil is a very large semi and attached trailers used in the Mad Max: Fury Road. Command has authorized its upgrade to a mobile assault and support unit and is taking proposals for its retrofit.
- Jan 26 - "Training in the Mud" - Baroness goes to watch some recruits being trained, when Zarana shows up.
- 30 January - "Prelude to Assault" - The Cobra forces gather in preparation to launch an assault on the Pit.
Feb 08 - Doubles
Why not go for something nastier? We've seen the spooky 'an kookie clones that Mindbender can make. Nab a few, clone 'em, put 'em in the Brainwave scanner 'an then release them or put them up as escapees to lure in the Joes. Some nice little booby brain traps to offer up for later.
- February 23 - "Scarlett Goes to Broca" - Scarlett enters Broca, once again. This time, she brings company.
- March 22 - "Satellite Assault" - NASA is about to unveil their new spy satellite, and due to Baroness's undercover work, Cobra knows the launch date and location! Will the Joes be able to keep the terrorist group from getting hands on technology that will vastly increase the reach and scale of Destro's MASS Device?
- March 22 - "Everything Must Be Perfect" - NASA is about to unveil their new spy satellite, and due to the Baroness's undercover work, Cobra knows the launch date and location! Will the Joes be able to keep the terrorist group from getting hands on technology that will vastly increase the reach and scale of Destro's MASS Device? (Cobra Commander POV)
- May 02 - "Long Live Jem" - Jem and the Holograms open their new tour with a bang!
May 11 - Nerd Attack
While we were flying on Air Cobra we got hit by some of the Joes paragliding. They landed a bunch of Greenshirts 'an Hawk and a Joe codename Temera think we've mauled before. We got into an engagement 'em. Barghest held off Hawk himself (give the man a candy cane). Techno-Viper 369 was able to help prevent the Joes from nabbing the server farm and tech. The Joes managed to get the transport door open 'an yanked out the nerd thing we were taking with us and went into parajump. We landed in Cobra airspace and offloaded the rest of the stuff for transport. We should send a team in to the Joes to kill the nerd now that they got him.
- Zarana was temped by Silverbolt in 2011, and apped for and received her as a full-time character between 2012 and 2015.
- In 2016 she was taken over by Typhoon.
- In 2017 she was taken back over by Whitedagger.
- In 2018 control of Zarana returned to Bzero.
- In 2020, Zarana was taken over by Wedgekree.
|This page uses content from Joepedia - The G.I. Joe Wiki. The original article was at Zarana.|
|This page uses content from JMM’s My Useless Knowledge Website. The original article was at JMM's G.I. Joe Comics Home Page. A member of this wiki, User:Kadjem, was granted temporary permission to use this content. However, JMM’s My Useless Knowledge Website is not part of the GNU Free Documentation License program, so the content is being rewritten to adapt and fit into this wiki and avoid plagiarism.|
Her look was partially inspired by Windy O. Williams.