California is the most populous state in the United States, and the third largest by area. California is the second most populous sub-national entity in the Americas, behind only São Paulo, Brazil. It is located on the West Coast of the United States, and is bordered by Oregon to the north, Nevada to the east, Arizona to the southeast, the Mexican state of Baja California to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Its four largest cities are Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, and San Francisco. The state is home to the nation's second and sixth largest metropolitan areas as well as eight of the nation's fifty largest cities. It is known for its varied climate and geography, as well as its diverse population.
California is the third-largest U.S. state by land area, after Alaska and Texas. Its geography ranges from the Pacific coast to the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the east, to Mojave desert areas in the southeast and the Redwood–Douglas fir forests of the northwest. The center of the state is dominated by the Central Valley, one of the most productive agricultural areas in the world. California is the most geographically diverse state in the nation, and contains the highest (Mount Whitney) and lowest (Death Valley) points in the continental United States.
Beginning in the late 18th century, the area known as Alta California was colonized by the Spanish Empire. It and the rest of Mexico became an independent republic in 1821. In 1846, California broke away from Mexico, and, after the Mexican-American War, Mexico ceded California to the United States. It became the 31st state admitted to the union on September 9, 1850.
In the 19th century, the California Gold Rush brought about dramatic changes, with a large influx of people and an economic boom that caused San Francisco to grow from a hamlet of tents to a world-renowned boomtown. Key developments in the early 20th century included the emergence of Los Angeles as center of the American entertainment industry, and the growth of a large, state-wide tourism sector. In addition to California's prosperous agricultural industry, other important contributors to the economy include aerospace, petroleum, and information technology. If California were a country, it would rank among the ten largest economies in the world, with a GDP similar to that of Italy. It would be the 35th most populous country.
More Joes are from California than from any other state.
- While all of Kamakura's filecards list his birthplace as classified, Devil's Due's The Data Desk Handbook lists his birthplace as Roseville (118,788) in the central valley.
- The capital city of Sacramento (445,335), at the intersection of I-80 and I-5, is the home of Budo.
- Flash's hometown is Lodi (61,027), 30 miles to the south.
- San Francisco (751,682), at the 34th parallel along the Pacific Coast, gave the Joe Team Dojo, Knockdown, and Psyche-Out. One of Storm Shadow's filecards also places his birth in San Francisco, and another over 100 miles east in Fresno, though most list St. Louis as his birthplace. On the MUX Storm Shadow was born in St. Louis, but grew up in San Francisco. *Fifteen miles south of the Golden Gate Bridge is Burlingame (27,387), Starduster's POB.
- Another 35 miles to the south is Boulder Creek (4,081), home of Long Arm.
- Altitude is from Cambria (6,232), along the Pacific Coast midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles (3,819,951).
- LA itself is the hometown of Jinx, Quick Kick, Skidmark, Sure Fire, and Wreckage.
- Nearby is Malibu, Rock 'n Roll's beachside home 25 miles to the west.
- The same distance east of downtown LA is Walnut (31,089), home to Ambush.
- Just north of the US-Mexico border is San Diego (1,266,753), Cloudburst's hometown. *Shipwreck is from Chula Vista (199,060), in the southeast portion of the San Diego area.
- Red Zone is from
- The Action Marine Rocky was born in Healdsburg (11,254).
- Skull Buster, the Range Viper Commander, is said to have been born in Donner Pass. The nearest significant town is Truckee (16,180), 9 miles east.
- Doctor Scalpel, the lead Cobra medic, was born in Death Valley. The only non-ghost town in the valley is Furnace Creek (24).
- September 20 - "Joes Smell a Ratte" - A cluster of potatoes steal even more potatoes from a smoky California.
|“||There's not supposed to be ocean there! What the smelt happened to California?||”|
In 1988, a cataclysmic attack on the United States of America during World War III destroyed southern California, forming Arizona Bay. Now a whole lotta places are underwater, and the government's declared the whole area a quarantine zone. You can't even drive a ship through it, since all the undersea buildings are a navigation hazard.
|This page uses content from Transformers Wiki. The original article was at Arizona Bay.|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|