Asia is the world's largest and most populous continent, located primarily in the eastern and northern hemispheres. It covers 8.7% of the Earth's total surface area (or 30% of its land area) and with approximately 3.9 billion people, it hosts 60% of the world's current human population. During the 20th century Asia's population nearly quadrupled.
- ↑ "Like herrings in a barrel". The Economist (The Economist online, The Economist Group) (Millennium issue: Population). 23 December 1999. http://www.economist.com/diversions/millennium/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=346605. .
- Display Maps. The Soil Maps of Asia. European Digital Archive of Soil Maps – EuDASM. Retrieved on 26 July 2011.
- Asia Maps. Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection. University of Texas Libraries. Archived from the original on 18 July 2011. Retrieved on 20 July 2011.
- Asia. Norman B. Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library. Retrieved on 26 July 2011.
- Bowring, Philp (12 February 1987). "What is Asia?". Eastern Economic Review (Columbia University Asia For Educators) 135 (7). http://afe.easia.columbia.edu/geography/geo_whatis.html.