Year 1974 (MCMLXXIV) was a common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar. It was also the 1974th year of the Common Era, the 974th year of the 2nd millennium, the 74th year of the 20th century, and the 4th year of the 1970s. It was ten years before the awakening of the Autobots and Decepticons.
- Due to its longstanding ties with the Arab world, Somalia is accepted as a member of the Arab League.
- March 18 – End of Oil embargo crisis: Most OPEC nations end a 5-month oil embargo against the United States, Europe and Japan.
- May 17 – Dublin and Monaghan bombings: The Protestant terrorist group, the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), explode numerous bombs in Dublin and Monaghan, in the Republic Of Ireland. The attacks kill 33 civilians and wound almost 300, which is the highest number of casualties in any single day during "The Troubles".
- August 4 – A bomb explodes in an Italicus Expressen train between Italy and West Germany. Italian neo-fascist terrorists take responsibility.
- August 8 – Watergate scandal: U.S. President Richard Nixon announces his resignation (effective August 9).
- August 9 – Vice President Gerald Rudolph Ford succeeds Richard Milhous Nixon as the 38th President of the United States of America.
- September 8 – TWA Flight 841 crashes into the Ionian Sea 18 minutes after take off from Athens, after a bomb explodes in the cargo hold, and kills 88 people.
- November 21 – In Birmingham, England, 2 pubs are bombed, killing 21 people (the Birmingham Six are later sentenced to life in prison for this).
- August 23 – Ray Park, Scottish actor, martial artist
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|